Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Reno Week 3

So fast and it's been 3 weeks since the start of the reno! Honestly, I can't wait for the reno to be over already. I just want to rest. In my new home. And only think about decorating the place, instead of the renovation part. While I spend thousands over the renovation, furniture and appliances, I have to forget about my bag-list and travel-list for now. But I think I am more affected over the lesser travelling part. I think I prefer travelling to bags now haha.

Week 3
- Bought sink, basin and tap.
- Installed ceiling lights and down lights.
- Bought dining lights and passageway lights.
- Installed brackets for the TV.
- Finished with the feature wall!

We settled our ceiling lights and downlights for the rooms, living room and kitchen the week before. Just a simple white, square ceiling light and simple white, round downlight. Kinda boring looking but simple enough for me.

My favourite part of week 3 is looking for dining and passageway lights. Zai left this entirely up to me. But I won't buy anything without asking him first, in case he has strong objections haha. We shortlisted a few places and I already knew what kinda lights I wanted. I wanted the cage lights and the naked bulbs. I think it's the trend now but I really like the idea of exposed bulbs, that's why I'm not too keen on lamp shades. I probably have the lamp shades at other parts of the house though, for decoration and variety sake. In fact the dining and passageway lights are mainly decorative since I already have ceiling lights and downlights. Zai is into the Edison bulbs so yeah I let him choose his Edison bulbs haha.

For the cage lights, I wanted them to stand out amidst the plain furniture and walls, so I was looking for painted cages but there were not many choices when I was looking around, so I got the typical black and metal one instead.

I like this colour combi! But couldn't find it anywhere and not willing to ship in from overseas haha.

Some other colourful cages.

The usual black one.

I got Zai to choose the naked bulbs. I find the copper ones nicer than the black ones though. And of course, living in an HDB four room flat my dining table won't be as long as the ones below which means, I can't have a long row of naked bulbs. I can only have a few of them haha.

 If only I can have a long dining table then this would be nice!

This is nice too although I don't really like the idea of having these in the kitchen. 

The copper ones are pretty!

The bulbs itself come in different shapes and sizes. Zai wanted the Edison bulbs instead of the usual LED or normal bulbs. I don't mind cause these lights are exposed and more for decorative purposes and not to really provide light for the room anyway.

The different shapes and sizes of the Edison bulbs.

I know many are also into track lights nowadays but I am skeptical that it'll be bright enough to light up the whole room. I always have this idea that they're just spotlights, concentrating on certain spots in the room. And it might end up making the room hot. Maybe I'm wrong, but not willing to take the risk. :/ It's cost saving though cause you don't have to do any false ceiling. So if you don't mind whatever I said, you can seriously consider track lights. 

They come in other colours too like white and silver.

By the way, I got the cage lights and naked bulbs from Like Lights. The guy was helpful in helping me decide what kinda lights I should get. The lights are actually sold in different parts. Instead of buying a set of lights, I have to buy the wires, the metal/plastic casing above the bulbs, the bulbs itself, the casement where you hang the bulbs, the hooks if you need to hang the wires (and more) as separate pieces. So yeah the price really depends on how you hang your lights, how many lights you want and what you need to buy exactly to achieve that look. There's also 2 by 2 store which sells similar kinda lights but I didn't get from there though.

The bigger things like carpentry and flooring are coming this week (week 4) though! Can't wait already. :D

7 comments:

  1. oooooh cage lights are very purrrrrrdy! maybe you can spray paint them with the colour that you want?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of spray painting but my husband is not confident. -.- He kept saying its not easy to spray paint. Haha so I decided not to la. Tak adventurous langsung kan.

      Delete
    2. do you guys have kawan mat motor yang suka bertukang? usually mat mat motor yang suka bertukang with their motor parts will know how to spray paint hehe. can ask for help!

      Delete
    3. Kawan mat motor ade, my husband himself rides. But tu la mat motor yang suka bertukang yang takde. Hahaha. But yes they can spray paint well!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea Farna! I really love the naked bulb concept seh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you can have it in your own home! Let me know if you end up having it.. Hehe.

      Delete